“Auroville will be a site of material and spiritual researches for a living embodiment of an actual human unity”
– The Auroville Charter
The Auroville Research Platform supports collaboration between visiting researchers and Auroville by providing a point of contact and resource centre for researchers interested in our community.
The Auroville Research Platform is committed to supporting advanced students or researchers/professors who wish to participate in a project that meets one of Auroville’s research needs, or that are looking to do their own project within Auroville. We also welcome institutional-level partnerships with international and Indian centres of research and innovation.
We have gathered all research papers written in and on Auroville in an online repository, AuroRepo. Interested to know what kind of research is done in Auroville? Have a look at a selection of works at the end of this document.
We are happy to support your own research
We can help carry out a research project on a specific topic, related to Auroville and rooted in an Auroville activity. We will study your specific academic requirements and provide you with the necessary conditions to facilitate your work on site.
Contact us by mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Some of the featured research on Auroville is as below.
We are happy to welcome you to join an Auroville research project
On this page you’ll find a few research projects waiting to be started. If you are interested in one of them, feel free to contact the initiator or contact us by mail email@example.com. Besides the opportunities in the link, much other research is done in Auroville.
How to apply
Please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief description of your requirements, ideas, and whether you contacted one of Auroville’s units already. Depending on regulations and your requirements, we may need to ask you to create an account in this website.
Published Research on Auroville:
- Henk Thomas and Manuel Thomas. Economics for People and Earth: The Auroville Case, 1968 – 2008. Auroville: Social Research Centre, 2013.
- Robert Minor. The Religious, the Spiritual, and the Secular: Auroville and Secular India. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1999.
- Paul Blanchflower. “Restoration of the Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest of Peninsular India.” Biodiversity 6, no. 3 (2005): 17 – 24.
- Meier, Janne. “Being Aurovilian: Constructions of Self, Spirituality and India in an International Community.” J@rgonia 4, no. 10 (2006): 1 - 23.
PHDs on Auroville:
- Clarence-Smith, Suryamayi. “Auroville, an Experiment in Spiritually Prefigurative Utopianism." Ph.D. diss. International Development, University of Sussex, 2019.
- Jouhki, Jukka. “Imagining the Other: Orientalism and Occidentalism in Tamil-European Relations in South India.” Ph.D. diss. History and Ethnology, University of Jyväskylä, 2006.
- Pillai, Shanti. “Auroville: Philosophy, Performance and Power in an Intentional Utopian Community in South India.” Ph.D. diss. Performance Studies, New York University, 2005.
Action Research in Auroville:
- Sanjeev Rangathan et al. “STEM Land (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics Land): Fostering Responsibility for Learning in Rural Schools.” Conference Paper. 2018.
- Ecofemme. “Washable Cloth Pad Pilot Study Report.” Report. 2018.
- Margarita Correa. “The Impact of Effective Microorganisms in Various Farming Systems.” Conference Paper. 2010.